Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sausage Fest

Pork Shoulder, Sir William Berkshire, The Meat Hook at The Brooklyn Kitchen
                          
I took my first sausage making class! As a present for Christmas, I was given a few classes at The Brooklyn Kitchen. When I arrived, each student had the chance to make one of two sausages: Red Wine Rosemary or Mexican Chorizo. Given I love spicy food and have roots south of the border, my choice was clear. Our instructor Ben commented that it was a nice surprise to see Chorizo be the first table filled. With a can of Busch beer in each students hand, we got underway. (What goes better with sausage than a can of good ol' American brew?)
























Class was a blast and I learned a lot. Team Chorizo! The staff at Brooklyn Kitchen was so cool and it kind felt like a place I would love to hang out more often. 

While the recipe I learned is very simple, make sausage is a bit more "hands on." And requires a lot of specialty gadgets. Making sausage is like meatloaf with power tools. As there are many more details to sausage making than meatloaf lumping, here is a link to making sausage techniques explaining what is going on the photos. Open the link in a new window so you can follow along.

Once I have a Cuisinart, I will be testing out these tricks at home. I might even skip the casings and just make the recipes as a meatloaf! (They'll be posted when I have tested them in my own kitchen) Watch out for that, my hungry readers....

Also I got to say hi to Sara, one inspiring Butcheress. 

1 comment:

  1. YUM, I love a good sausage fest...wink wink, when are we eating again????
    xoxo
    T

    ReplyDelete